top of page

Is It Compulsory to Take IELTS to Study in Canada?

Do you want to move to Canada to study? If so, you might have heard from several people that you need to give an English proficiency test such as IELTS to get admission to colleges and universities. 

However, this is partly true! As one of the leading organizations helping newcomers to Canada, we aim to clarify that international students don't need to compulsorily give IELTS to get admission to universities and colleges.

Yes, you heard that right! There are certain exemptions for international students so that they can get easy admission to higher education institutions. Here’s what you need to know.

  • Are you coming from an English dominant country?

International students who come from an English-dominant country are exempt from giving English proficiency tests such as IELTS. Or if your native language is English, you don’t need to give a language proficiency test. However, you might be asked to present your English grades from high school (secondary school in some countries) during admission. 

  • Have you studied in English or French previously? 

Over the years as certified immigration consultant Canada, we have observed that if international students have finished their previous education in English or French, they are exempted from language proficiency tests. However, your previous education must be from a post-secondary school and you must provide proof of education in English or French during admission. 

As you can see, if you can prove that your previous education has been completed in English, you may be exempted from taking a language proficiency test. 

However, as mentioned above, this is partly true. Certain universities and colleges require a compulsory language proficiency test result irrespective of whether your previous education was in English.

Hence, we suggest potential international students thoroughly check the language proficiency test requirements. Some universities and colleges such as Memorial University require very low IELTS scores for admission. Instead, they allow the students to finish some English courses after their admission. 

As registered Canadian immigration consultants, we suggest potential international students take the English proficiency test to avoid any issues. They can go for tests such as IELTS, TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), and CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language). 

Please Note: Universities and colleges only accept Academic IELTS scores for admission. They don’t accept General IELTS scores. 

Final Takeaway

There is some flexibility when it comes to English language proficiency test scores. However, you need to be prepared. Firstly, by checking the exact language requirements and secondly, by taking the said language proficiency exams. And if you need more information on the same, get in touch with us at Canadian Immediate Immigration Service. 

At Canadian Immediate Immigration Service, we assist our clients to process their Canadian immigration and successfully immigrate to the country. Whether you are looking to work, study, invest or immigrate, we will take care of you. 

Get in touch with us now to know more.

bottom of page