top of page

You Don’t Need a Study Permit for These Canadian Study Courses

Are you a student who intends to study at a Canadian university? If so, you might have started searching for some courses of interest in Canada.

Now, most students prefer going to Canada and studying in the courses. However, during the recent pandemic, it has become a little difficult to move to Canada for study. And as registered Canadian immigration consultants, we have seen several students struggle to get approval for study visas in this period.

registered Canadian immigration consultants

However, you don’t need to get a study visa to study in Canada, especially for certain types of courses that will be taught online entirely. These courses are accredited so, you don’t have to worry about the authenticity of these courses. 


Here are the instances when you might not need a study visa for online courses.


  • Online Courses that are Just 6 Months Long


If your online courses are 6 months or less, you don’t need to apply for a study visa. This is as per the Canadian immigration laws. However, as a regulated Canadian immigration consultant, we suggest you should apply for a study permit. This will make it easier to change your study permit status if you wish to continue your study. 


  • Distance Learning


Some courses are entirely distance learning. In this case, you won’t have to apply for a study permit. As per IRCC definition, distance learning programs are defined as programs that don’t need the student to be physically present for completion of the program. 
However, certain distance courses might need you to complete a few of the courses or exams in person. And this might take more than 6 months. In this case, you need to apply for a study permit. 


  • Audited Courses


Some students just want to audit the course online without claiming the credits. These are audited courses, and you won’t need a study permit for these courses.

certified immigration consultant Canada
  • Self-improvement/general interest courses

Are you taking a self-improvement/general interest course? In that case, you don’t need to apply for a study permit. As per Canadian immigration laws, self-improvement courses aren’t considered for study purposes. 
Since these courses are non-academic, you won’t get a degree or diploma on course completion. Hence, you won’t need a study permit.

Bottom Line

There are certain instances where you won’t need a study permit. But if you want to apply for a study permit or work permit to move to Canada for a better future, get in touch with us at Canadian Immediate Immigration Service

We are a certified immigration consultant Canada and our team will assist you in applying for all types of visas to move to Canada. 

Get in touch with us now to know more.

bottom of page